Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    EmPHAsis on the wrong syllable?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EmPHAsis on the wrong syllable? Login/Join

posted
Maria Sherapovais in the news of late, and Ialways hear her family name pronounced "SharaPOva." Isn't iy "SherAPova in her native Russian? Why do we English speakers do it as we do? Besides Russian, I've heard Japanese names pronunced with non-native emphasis shifts. Why?

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
Maria Sherapova is in the news of late. I always hear her family name pronounced "SharaPOva." Isn't it "SherAPova in her native Russian? Why do we English speakers do it as we do? Besides Russian, I've heard Japanese names pronounced with non-native emphasis shifts. Why?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I think stress on syllables is such an interesting topic. This discussion on Wikipedia attempts to explain the difference between stress and accent, though I am not sure I completely understand.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Foreign names, like borrowed words, are adapted to the borrowing language's phonology.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Nice to see you again, goofy. So - what is the difference between stresses in words and accent?

posted Hide Post
I don't think there is a difference.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
This is what Wikipedia said:
quote:
The terms stress and accent are often used synonymously, but they are sometimes distinguished, with certain specific kinds of prominence (such as pitch accent, variously defined) being considered to fall under accent but not under stress. In this case, stress specifically may be called stress accent or dynamic accent.
Is it wrong?

posted Hide Post
I don't understand it, to be honest.

posted Hide Post
I notice that more and more I hear people pitching up at the end of a sentence as though it were interrogative, but it's not. Women seem to do it more often than men, and East coast people more than West coast. It drives me nuts!

Were we speaking Russian, wherein a repeated sentence with changed inflection is an affirmation, it would make sense, but these folks are speaking Amerrcun.

posted Hide Post

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, goofy, I didn't understand it either. We all know Wikipedia isn't that reliable at times, so this must be one of those times.

Geoff, funny you should say this. I have a committee at work, which has Canadians. By the middle of the day, I found myself raising my voice pitch at the end of my sentences. How easily we can be influenced!