Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fraudulent use of words? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I heard a talk today by an internationally renowned scholar. She was advocating the use of "neoteric", rather than "new". The reason? She wants the profession to start a "new" science of nursing education. However, she thought the word "new" wouldn't be accepted; "neoteric" would be better, she thought, because few people would understand its meaning! I swear--those were her words! I was aghast.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a neoteric one on me!

Posts: 73 | Location: Morpeth, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
News to me too. I looked it up and found some variety in the definitions of neoteric:

AHD: adj. of recent origin; modern.

MW: adj. recent in origin; modern; new. -- but also
---- noun one of modern times; a modern.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Neoteric? Oh, I thought it was neurotic! smile Give her an emitic and she'll be cured of her mental constipation.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, wordnerd, I did a little more looking and found that modern is a better definition for "neoteric" than new. In that case, "neoteric" doesn't even fit. By a new science, she had meant a different type of science.

This board is making me so sensitive to words! Today, they were talking about nursing's "concernful" practices. Again, my fur was raised. Finally someone asked what they meant, and they said "practices that matter". Why not just say practices that matter?

Then, the organization got a national award for "Knowledge, Growth, and Nimbleness" "Nimbleness"??? An organization???

I think I am going I am going "word-crazy"!

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Kalleh, you say your fur was raised and your organization received an award for nimbleness??

Boy, would I like to attend your Christmas party!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Since I'm Jewish, I don't attend Christmas parties. However, I have one Hell of a Hannukah party! big grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
Since I'm Jewish, I don't attend Christmas parties. However, I have one Hell of a Hannukah party!
Well, I'm Christian, and I would love to attend "one Hell of a Hannukah party!" big grin

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post