Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    It's not rocket science...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's not rocket science... Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I was wondering about the phrase "it's not rocket science." Surely there are more or equally complicated occupations/professions than that. How did that particular one get chosen?

I might start saying, "It's not nursing." Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, yes. But...why just rocket science? There are a lot of complicated professions out there, like, as they mention, "brain surgery."

Perhaps I asked the question poorly. I wasn't really wondering when it first originated, but instead why that one occupation? Why not corporate litigation, for example? That can be extremely complex.

The same goes for the phrase, "it's not brain surgery." There are a lot of intricate surgeries (retinal, vascular, Whipple's procedure, etc.) so why that one? Similarly, there are a lot of complex sciences so why rocket science?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
As that article says, in the 1950s, when that phrase originated, "... rocket science was generally accepted as being intellectually difficult and outside the capabilities of the average Joe ..." No doubt they could have picked on another field, but rocket science happened to be the one that entered general use. In that era, rockets were probably to the forefront of people's minds, with the escalation of the Cold War and the threat of nuclear weapons. Additionally, there were the hoped-for peaceful uses of rockets for interplanetary travel a la Flash Gordon.

Similarly with the negative version, "brain surgery". During the 1980s there were several well-publicised advances in brain surgery; of course another occupation could have been used, but that one happened to catch folks' fancy.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, well. The whole "rocket science" thing has always irritated me. I am much less irritated by the "brain surgery" reference, but then that's likely because I am in health care.

<Proofreader>
posted
Something like "It's not garbage collection" just doesn't cut it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
Something like "It's not garbage collection" just doesn't cut it.

Depends... There's a lot or rocket garbage in orbit, and somebody's gotta go pick it up!

Coincidence: One of the people I met upon arriving here in Muncie is an old rocket scientist who worked for none other than Werner Von Braun. Further coincidence: An aero engineer friend's son just enrolled in the Air Force Academy. Part of the curriculum is introductory aero engineering, and the final project in the class is the design and construction or a rocket-boosted glider. My friend's son has yet to let on that he was the Junior division national champion in rocketry. This could get interesting! Smile

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6172 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I think the History Channel is going to have a program about launching anvils into the air. Blacksmithing in orbit?

posted Hide Post
quote:
I think the History Channel is going to have a program about launching anvils into the air. Blacksmithing in orbit?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmh-0rDZZnY

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:

I believe Warner Bros has already covered this subject amply

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How I miss those old WB cartoons! Good stuff!!!

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Somehow "It ain't semiotics" just doesn't have the same ring either.

I couldn't get your article to open up, Proof, but was about to mention brain surgery before others mentioned that the article used that example.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post