Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Idiot Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
There was an interesting article in the Washington Post about the word idiot. Of course it is political, but we can put that aside. I had not known the etymology of the word, had you?

It comes from the Greek word idios, an adjective translated as "private" or "personal." That surprises me. It was used that way in Homer's "Odyssey," where a group of nobles accepted bribes from the Persians, thus undermining the city's defense. Thucydides used it in the "History of the Peloponnesian War," again highlighting a political meaning to idiocy, as privacy affecting the common good. Plato use idios to distinguish between the knowledge of laymen, versus experts. From this it evolved from the knowledge of an unskilled individual to a general condemnation of one's intelligence.

As the author noted, in the beginning the word actually portrayed a shrewdness (prioritizing one's private gain). It's too bad how the word has degenerated. I could see the need for the previous definition of idios.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You folks in the medical field use it in such terms as an idiopathic illness

Regarding its current usage, here's a fun read: http://www.truth-out.org/opini...the-land-of-the-free

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting, Geoff - and just how our country is going. I did learn a new word from it, prelapsarian.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post