Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boaty McBoatface... Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
We have our interesting times, and so do those of you who live in England. Trump may be in your editorials, but Boaty McBoatface is in ours. The Trib had a funny one today, but I can't link to their articles. So here is a quote:
quote:
But instead of embracing the absurd nature of its people, the British government shunned the perceived indignity. In an interview with the BBC, Johnson explained that "you want a name that fits the gravity and the importance of the subjects that this boat is going to be doing science into."

The problem is that the British government asked for the people's opinion, which they supplied — with fervor. Boaty McBoatface is ridiculous, over-the-top and silly. Without a doubt. But to ignore that choice is to belittle its supporters, who, yes, may very well be ridiculous, over-the-top and silly themselves.
It kinda reminds me of our talk about ignoring the people's choice of Trump. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
When I first heard about Boaty McBoatface there were two things I would have willingly bet my life savings on.

1) The name would win
and
2) They wouldn't use it

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It is so typically British, isn't it? When I saw a picture of the boat, I could just see that name, though. I bet that radio station anchor who came up with the name is a bit embarrassed. He said he never expected it to go anywhere, and then quickly it had 8,000 votes!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post