Wordcraft Community Home Page
Executive

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/4451095245

June 11, 2008, 19:32
<Asa Lovejoy>
Executive
Why are bosses called "executives?" It's their underlings who actually execute the dictates of the boss, so what gives? Too bad it's not because they're the ones who get executed if the plans don't work! Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arnie,
June 11, 2008, 19:46
JustJo
that's too funny. Too bad in deed. I would suppose the derivation was rooted somewhere in the deep dark recesses of history when corporate responsibility actually meant something. They actually used to teach in MBA programs that executives were supposed to facilitate the execution of the goals and purposes of the organization. Now they just write mission statements.
June 11, 2008, 20:18
Kalleh
I know we've discussed mission statements here ad nauseum. However, I've learned that a succinct and pithy mission statement really does provide clear direction and guidance to an organization. When I see a long, drawn-out one, with no clear statement, I often see a mediocre organization that goes in all directions, focusing on nothing special.
June 11, 2008, 20:35
<Asa Lovejoy>
Oops! How do I correct the spelling of the topic heading? Red Face
June 12, 2008, 08:39
arnie
I dun it for ya, Asa. Wink

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.