Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

lek-ery Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
Kalleh came across a great word, but her source misunderstood it and badly mis-defined it. It means the animal equivalent of a singles' bar. Smile

lek - a place thata species (esp. birds) uses as an arena for competitive courtship;¹ the assembly itself; the competition there (also verb: to lek - to so compete)

OED's first record of the word is Darwin, in 1871, but sounds as if the word had prior usage.²

OED speculates that the term comes from Swedish leka 'to play'. I can't help but wonder if it is related to lechery.

¹ Kalleh's source misdefined lek as 'a rainforest clearing', for it was discussing a bird that leks there. But others use other arenas. OED quotes, "A randy old blackcock displaying triumphantly on a Highland lek."
.. . .Dictionary definitions vary in details, and in particular, some limit it to 'birds' or to 'birds and mammels'. The above definition is my creation, from theirs and from usage.
² "As many as forty or fifty, or even more birds congregate at the leks."

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I should have looked it up; I'm sorry. In all fairness, the article did say it is the equivalent of a "singles' bar" and the description surely indicated an arena of competitive courtship.

I wondered if the the article defined it as a rainforest clearing because the "lek" of that particular bird might be a rainforest clearing; many different animals use "leks." However, this site says the lek for the red bird of paradise are the bare branches of a high tree.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post