Find
Notify
Tools

"gordon" Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
Another possible briticism from the book I'm reading:
    "We did it!" Jelly said. "Thank gordon."

[And later, Flick speaking to Jelly:] "Don't let the Nazis capture you alive." "Oh, my gordon," said Jelly.
Meaning 'thank god' and 'oh, my god'? How did this come about?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I've never heard it. Is it authentically British? In other words what nationality is the author?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Or is it perhaps meant to be an idiosyncracy of the speech of that particular character?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've never heard it, either. It might be that particular writer's (or character's) euphemism for "Oh my Gawd!" (God).

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Per your questions. The book is Jackdaws by Ken Follett. Follett is British, and seems to research his books thoroughly.

We meet the Jelly character in a pub named The White Swan (but commonly known as The Mucky Duck) in London, specifically in "Stepney, not far from the docks," and we're told that she grew up in that neighborhood. She's the only character who grew up there; she's the only character who uses "gordon" this way, and she uses it consistently.

So I suspect it's local slang in the area, or in-the-area-at-that-time.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
"Gawd" is is a common cockney (or more properly east London) pronunciation of "God". At a guess it's a minced version of that, possibly of the character's own invention. There is also another oath "Gordon Bennett!", an alternative of "Gor blimey!", which is itself a variation on "God blind me!".

See also http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/articles/gordon-bennett.htm

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post