Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Didn't know this was an acronym.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Didn't know this was an acronym. Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
The Patriot Act, legislation passed after 9/11, has been much in the news. But who knew that it was an acronym? Apparently, whoever created it ought to participate in our "6 letters to fun" thread.
quote:
The USA Patriot Act has an awkward, even an Orwellian name, which is one of those Washington acronyms derived by calling the law "United and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Interrupt and Obstruct Terrorism." You get the impression they started with the acronym first, and then offered a $50 savings bond tho whoever could come up with a name to fit.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted Hide Post
This makes roughly as much sense as renaming french fries "liberty fries" when the French wouldn't blindly follow us into the morass which is George Dubya's Iraqi adventure.

In any case, "united" is an adjective and "strengthening" is a gerund. A more sensible (barely) acronym would be "Unite and Strengthen America etc etc."

Then again, being more sensible in this aspect of the war might imply that we should be likewise elsewhere and God knows we can't have that!

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I haven't checked but that's got the sound of a post facto urban legend to me.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Certainly, the bill exists with this name. See http://thomas.loc.gov/home/terrorleg.htm

quote:
HR3162: Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism (USA PATRIOT ACT) Act of 2001

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Oh I know the bill exists, it's the acronym that sounds like it's an urbam myth.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I agree, it sounds like an urban myth, but in this case it isn't. The bill, and its laboured acronym, exists. Shu's original post was slightly incorrect in that the title is "Uniting and Strengthening America..." and not "United and Strengthening America...", which disposes of CJ's objection.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I assume that in its abbreviated form USAPATRIOT is pronounced U-S-A-patriot (and not usapatriot), an amalgamation of an initialism and an acronym. [using the strict interpretation that an acronym should be a pronounceable word.]

<yech>

posted Hide Post
I pronounce it "USAP".

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinman:
I pronounce it "USAP".

So would I if I could ever manage to wrangle an invitation to the White House to speak with our "president."