Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"spoonerism" Login/Join

posted
We think of a spoonerism as a particular kind of slip of the tongue, as where 'You have wasted two terms' comes out as 'You have tasted two worms'.

But nowadays, folks writing on a website sometimes use this sort of reversal deliberately, to avoid the sites 'naughty words filter', which might ban them from the site. For example, in the heat of an on-line argument someone might say, "You're a jucking firk!" The phrasing is completely deliberate, and every reader understands why it's being done.

Would you feel that such a deliberate reversal qualifies as 'spoonerism', or is the word limited to accidental slips of the tongue? I'm not asking for a dictionary definition here (the dictionaries differ). What's your personal opinion?

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Since Spooner's originals were genuine, I would label this as"spooneristic," but not Spoonerisms. Kinda like rhyming slang, it seems to me.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I was about to say it's not a spoonerism, but in looking it up in Dictionary.com the definition is "the transposition of initial or other sounds of words, usually by accident, as in a blushing crow for a crushing blow. The italics are mine, but the "usually" seems to indicate that it could be considered a spoonerism.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted Hide Post
Then there's Colonel Stoopnagel's classic fairy tale "Beeping Sleauty" (the one where she is chissed on the keek by a prandsome hince) that is nothing but intentional spoonerisms from start to finish. Anyone capable of reciting one of the good colonel's works will find him/herself invited to many parties.

posted Hide Post
quote:
"in Dictionary.com the definition is 'the transposition of initial or other sounds of words, usually by accident' ... the 'usually" seems to indicate that it'" could also be deliberate.
Yes, but the dictionaries differ. For example, COED's definition says, "an error in speech in which the initial sounds or letters of two or more words are accidentally transposed [emph. added] ," and thus excludes a deliberate transposition.

That's why I asked, "What do you think?" I trust dictionaries, but I trust my fellow word-crafters even more! Smile

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do...don't trust me in these things. Wink However, my guess is that in the original meaning the transposition was accidental. If you think about it, it's a different concept to transpose them yourself and try to be funny than to unintentionally transpose them and to look silly.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris J. Strolin:
Then there's Colonel Stoopnagel's classic fairy tale "Beeping Sleauty" (the one where she is chissed on the keek by a prandsome hince) that is nothing but intentional spoonerisms from start to finish. Anyone capable of reciting one of the good colonel's works will find him/herself invited to many parties.

LOL!

Posts: 8 | Location: St.Vincent and the GrenadinesReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first recorded word transposition in English dates to 1622: "A melancholy gentleman, sitting one day at a table where I was, started up upon the sudden, and, meaning to say 'I must go buy a dagger,' by transposition of the letters, said: 'Sir, I must go dye a beggar,'" according to The Straight Dope.

That one was apparently accidental, but many more have been purposely created for humor. Spooner was legendary for his accidental A legend hasgrown up about Spooner's accidental word tranpositions, and, like all legends, there is a kernal of truth and a mountain of hyperbole in it.

For those who want to split hairs, Word Spy says the technical name for it is metaphasis. But I think spoonerism is just fine.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the lines of Beeping Sleauty I have heard "Rinde-cella", who "slopped her dripper". I thought it was rather amusing.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
They did the "Beeping Sleauty" and "Rindercella" routines on the old "Hee Haw" TV show - which was why I watched it. Welllll, one of the reasons... Roll Eyes

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting, Tinman. It seems to me, based on Spooner's "accidental word transpositions" that spoonerisms should be accidental then. However, perhaps the word that could describe both accidental and non-accidental transpositions could be metaphasis.