Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Most polite/least polite languages
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most polite/least polite languages Login/Join

posted
In a discussion recently someone expressed the notion that Italian slang was less insulting to women than English slang. That got me wondering whether language reflects gender attitudes or vice-versa. Any thoughts?

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Excellent question, Geoff, and I can't say I've even thought about it. This research finds that:
quote:
...the use of “generic” masculine and even other grammatically neutral terms in effect serves to exclude women from the English language. The resulting masculine bias in our language reflects and reinforces the pattern of male dominance in society.
Interesting. The full article needs to be purchased, unfortunately.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the US South and middle it's not unusual for older people to address strangers as, "Sugar," "Sweetie," and the like. Not so with younger Eye phone zombies. So maybe it's regional/generational regardless of language structure - or is it both?

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Languages with non-gendered pronouns include Japanese, Mandarin, Turkish, and Hindi/Urdu.