Tools

Latalat Tasimi Wrawl Login/Join

Picture of C J Strolin
posted
First off, the correct pronunciation is:

LAT-tuh-lat
tuh-SIM-ee
WRAWL (to rhyme with "crawl")

This is a pseudo-foreign phrase lovingly created by yours truly as an acronym for:

Let's All Take Another Look At This Thread And See If Maybe It's Worth Reviving A While Longer.

You'll have undoubtedly noticed a number of old threads unexpectedly popping up to the top of the list of topics today. I'm still a relative newcomer here and, as such, missed out on any number of the jucier tidbits of the past. In the future, I will just throw my "Latalat Tasimi Wrawl" in the subject line and you can all either comment or let the thread sink back into oblivion in another 60 days.

Or maybe I'll just lable it "L. T. W." so that when someone else asks what those initials stand for, I (or anyone else, for than matter) can simply post in reply "Why, 'Latalat Tasimi Wrawl,' of course!

Naturally, if this neologism makes its way into the OED, I will expect some coin to be thrown my way.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
What a great idea, CJ! I have been here almost since the board's inception and remember some of the really good old threads. Once I tried to revive one that was older than 60 days and was unable to. The administrators said that after 60 days we would have to start a new thread and link to the old one. Just a hint if people find a really old thread.

Hint: Our discussion of "elucidate" and "clarify" will rival any such discussion at an Ivy League School. "Velodrome" has more replies than anyone would have imagined. Yes, new members, surf this site and bring up new discussions! If anyone can find anything to say about my forgotten "elegy" thread (the only reply was to myself!), I'll give you a prize! big grin

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1) I love the idea

2) I vote for LTW, rather than the longer version, as that's all I trust myself to remember.

3) "LTW" would be an acronym that shortens your original arcronym. I wonder if there's a term for such a "two-tier acronym", or if there are other examples of it?

posted Hide Post
Wonderful idea CJ!

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I have no idea if I am doing this right, but I am sure someone will let me know if I'm not! razz
Anyway, I have an LTW!
I found a wonderful pleasingly plump word. For those of you who are new, that was an earlier thread that is now locked (over 60 days old).
Here's the word: pinguescence the process of growing fat.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Very nice. As someone who continually fights against what is commonly known as "middle-age spread," I am tempted to sign off my next letter with "Pinguescently Yours" and see what happens.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oy Vey, I hate how these threads close down after 60 days. I have too much of a one-track mind for that!

This is in reference to the "Sparks" thread:

Asa, I am still looking for a word for those sparks that are emitted from metal cutting, and this may be as good as it gets:

In my "There's A Word For It" book by Elster, he says that swarf (from the Old Norse sverfa, to file) means the fine metallic particles that accumulate from using a machine tool to grind, sharpen, or cut metal. Then, he says that scintillate means to (among other things) emit sparks.

So--could these sparks be termed swarf scintillations? If so, do I get a prize? You all know what I'd like!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
From the pleasingly plump thread, 2 new words:

fussock large, fat woman (I wonder if they have a term for a large, fat man!)

fubsy plump & squat

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am on a roll with pleasingly plump words!
gaucy a compliment and insult rolled into one: "fat and comely"
porknell - "resembling a pig"
pursy - "fat and short of breath"
blowmaunger - "a person who is fat to the point that his/her cheeks are puffed out"

posted Hide Post
"a compliment and insult rolled into one"

cacocallia - the state of being ugly but sexy

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
_cacocallia_ - the state of being ugly but sexy

Also known in some circles (not mine) as "MickJaggeresque."

posted Hide Post
Frankly, I think Mick Jagger is just ugly.......NOT sexy.

Posts: 113 | Location: Minnesota, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Frankly, I think Mick Jagger is just ugly.......NOT sexy.
Were he to impregnate Julia Roberts, their offspring would be all mouth!

BTW, do you people find Roberts to be attractive? To me, she's the prettiest ugly woman around.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh my God, is there actually someone else, besides me, who thinks Julia Roberts is ugly? I thought I was the only one. Razz

posted Hide Post
Mick Jagger and Julia Roberts? ARGGHHHHHH! Would that be an ugly combination! Red Face

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post