Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rusticated Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I read the following, "He rusticated his wife from the house". While I thought it meant to compel to live in the country or in rustic conditions, I found that it had some meanings that are unfamiliar to me. Mainly in Britain, my source says, it means to suspend from school or college. Is it used frequently that way? Also, it can mean to bevel in order to make the joints conspicuous as in a rusticated wall. Again, is it used that way frequently? Lastly, it can mean to implant rustic mannerisms. Would parents then rusticate their children? confused

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've only ever seen the word used to mean to suspend from college. At that, so far as I know it is only used by Oxford and Cambridge Universities, although graduates of other universities may correct me. It is in fairly common usage in its rather restricted sphere.

It literally means "send to the country" -- away from the University town. "Send down" is similar, although that can also mean complete expulsion from the university.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting, arnie. Americans, do you ever hear it used that way?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Odd. The word is familiar to me in Kalleh's sense, but I've never seen it in arnie's sense. Could this be one of those Brit/US divergences?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Just speaking for this American, I've never heard this term used in either sense although it strikes me as having a distinct Ogden Nash quality, possibly something along the lines of:

Country folk say life there is pretty,
A huge step up from that in the city.
I, myself, think it's overrated,
And would resist any attempt by my wife to have me moved into any living arrangement involving fresh air, farm chores, grange meetings, or to be in any other way rusticated.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Wasn't rusticated used in The Wizard of Oz to describe what happened to the tin woodsman when he ran out of oil? confused

Reply With QuoteReport This Post