Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Acclimatization Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I am seeing acclimatization now to mean general physiological adaptation. I have even seen the term "deacclimatization" used (though it is not even in Onelook) to mean maladaptation. I think acclimatization should only be used for adapting to high altitudes or deep water pressures. Has anyone else seen it used to mean general adaptation? Is that a correct use?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
AHD gives The physiological adaptation of an animal or plant to changes in climate or environment, such as light, temperature, or altitude.

Webster's gives The act of acclimatizing; the process of inuring to a new climate, or the state of being so inured. --Darwin. I don't know if this means that Darwin coined the phrase, but that's my guess. If so, his definition would seem to be the final word. Cool

Your definition would therefore seem to be a little too narrow. The important part seems to be that it is a reaction to changes in climate and not to other changes.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Without looking it up (because what fun is it if you look it up?) I'd agree with arnie and add that the general word for adapting, not limited to climate, would be acclimate.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd agree with arnie and add that the general word for adapting, not limited to climate, would be acclimate.
But is that agreeing with arnie? Arnie says, "The important part seems to be that it is a reaction to changes in climate and not to other changes", and I would agree with that. My examples, I agree, were too limiting, arnie; those were just 2 ways that I have seen it used in the literature. However, I must disagree with Shufitz that the general word for adapting would be "acclimate".

The way I have recently seen it used....wrongly I believe...is the physiological adaptation to hypoxia (deficiency of oxygen), occurring with suctioning, as the patient's condition improves. Technical, I know. Still, I wouldn't call this "acclimatization"; I'd call it "adaptation". The environment isn't causing the change; physiological adaptation is. By the way, dictionary.com says that "acclimation" and "acclimatization" are synomyms.

I apologize if this is getting too technical. I probably should find some physiological site for this question.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Yes, changes in climate is the important thing IMO. For instance, if I were to injure my right hand I would get used to doing various tasks with my left. However, it is not a change in climate, so I would not be acclimatizing to the change, I would be adapting, or adjusting to it.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post