Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

By Golly Login/Join

Picture of Caterwauller
posted
OK, kids - it's time to educate CW again. I know that folks in the UK (everywhere, or just in some regions?) will use the term lolly for money. (If it weren't for Monty Python I would be even more obtuse about your slang usage.)

Can someone please explain why? I've checked a few online slang dictionaries without success.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
It is said to originate in the Romany word loli meaning red, used by gypsies to mean copper coins and hence money in general. It may also derive from lolly meaning sweet or candy which itself originated in dialect with the meaning of tongue.

Dictionary of Contemporary Slang, Tony Thorne

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bob! Ok - now can you explain the etymology of these other slang terms for me?

Dosh
Spoondulicks

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Why not.

According to that same source the origin of dosh is obscure but could be either related to the African colonial term dash denoting a tip or a bribe, or related to doss in the sense of the price of a bed for a night.

Spondulicks on the other hand is said to have originared a witticism (doesn't sound terribly witty to me though) borrowing the Greek term spondylikos relating to the spondylos, a seashell used as currency.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post