Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blurb Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
We all know about a "blurb" in a book. However, I just read in the Chicago Tribune about a Chicago use of the word "blurb." Supposedly it was coined by Blair Kamin to mean, "where 'brawny' Victorian brownstones run smack into the plastic chic of the Golden Arches, where the skyscraper canyons of the Loop give way to the wideopen spaces of the commercial strip."

Is this only a Chicago use? We need a word to describe this concept, at least in Chicago. The River North area is beautiful, with old brownstones and buildings with great historical significance; yet it is also where gaudy theme restaurants have splashy signs and items such as a giant guitar, a frog, and a baseball. April 15 a new concrete, glass and steel retro McDonald's, with gargantuan arches, will be finished in celebration of their 50th Anniversary. I can't wait! Mad

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Here is a case where I think the word should not have been given new meaning. Blurb already means something for me (a short description of some kind or other) and to now give it some sort of geographic meaning confuses the issue for me.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I tend to agree with you, CW. It has such a specific meaning. I wonder how Kamin came to choose that word for the concept, though I do think the concept should have a word.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post