Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Seen any good coinages lately? ("frigerati")
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seen any good coinages lately? ("frigerati") Login/Join

posted
Our USn's will well know Ann Landers, who for over forty years (until her death last June) had a widely syndicated advice-column in the daily newspapers. Her daughter now sometimes appears her place, and in today's column coined a nice new word. The relevant part:
quote:
Dear Prudence: I am in the fledgling stage of a promising relationship. Both of us are divorced and in our 40s. The problem is that I recently learned my new flame believes physical relationships must be reserved for marriage. what is the Christian basis for prohibiting all forms of sexuality outside of marriage? I just don't see it. -- Turning Blue

Dear Turn: ... your lady friend's wish to put principle before pleasure is admirable, but she should be careful about using the Bible as a guidebook for sexuality. There's a possibility that this woman is one of the frigerati and is hiding behind the Good Book.
As best I can tell this is a brand new coinage (akin to glitterati), and I like it! smile Hope it sticks!

Seen any good coinages lately? Perhaps we can collect them here as we spot them from time to time.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, wordnerd, first of all welcome to our interesting site.
I am not sure that this counts. However, I find the coinage of "to Google", or the verb form of Google, quite common these days. Some people actually use the term for other types of search engines. So--I am going to go google up some new words now.....! big grin

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post