Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Language and social class
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Language and social class Login/Join

posted

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Well, yes and no.
Take the example "Me and him got a six pack."
The article says this is wrong and that is technically true. On the other hand the grammatically "correct" "He and I got a six pack." sounds so unbelievably pompous that it's hard to believe anyone, of any social class (with the possible exception of Jacob Rees-Mogg who most certainly wouldn't be getting a six pack), could use it without eliciting at least a raised eyebrow.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
quote:
"He and I got a six pack."

I think the reason it sounds pompous is the use of the term 6-pack. Try "He and I retrieved some craft IPAs from the refrigerator." Less pompous but also less likely to hear in the wild. Wink

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
True, but going further down that road could you get more pompous than "He and I retrieved a bottle of the '57 from the wine cellar" ? (Not to mention the fact that only a heathen keeps his IPA in the fridge.)

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
quote:
(Not to mention the fact that only a heathen keeps his IPA in the fridge.)

Chacun à son goût. In the States, it was mainly non-heathens behind Prohibition.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, yes, it was on WC by the memorable Richard English where I learned only the heathen keeps beer cold. Wink

The article is pretty accurate. On WC I've learned about that fourth camp. I really hadn't thought about that before.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post