Wordcraft Community Home Page
A persistent mosquito? A persevering mosquito?

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/6590075396

February 06, 2019, 11:02
shufitz
A persistent mosquito? A persevering mosquito?
What is the difference, if any, between “to persist” and “to persevere“?
February 06, 2019, 12:35
BobHale
Just a first thought but I would say persevere implies agency but persist doesn't. Both you and the rain may persist but only you can persevere. That is (probably) how I would use them. In the case of the mosquito I'd say, most likely, no agency is involved unless it's a Disney mosquito in which case, like cartoon ants at a picnic there definitely is.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
February 06, 2019, 19:37
Kalleh
I see persistent as almost annoying, as it is pestering about something time and time again. "Mommy, can I have a cookie? Please? Pretty please?" etc.

However, I see perseverance as more positive and more long-term. "I have persevered for years to get my PhD."
February 09, 2019, 12:49
Geoff
IMO, Bob and Kalleh are both right.
February 12, 2019, 18:16
Kalleh
Shu posted this on Extreme Pedantry, a FB group and they told him it wasn't a pedantic question. So glad I don't post on that group. From what I hear, most are Brits and they are a bit anti-American.
February 12, 2019, 18:20
BobHale
Oh the irony...a group devoted to pedantry that get pedantic about what pedantry is. Priceless.

(And I am perfectly sure that the same group would object to my use of the word "irony" above.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

February 12, 2019, 18:23
BobHale
I may pop over to the group formed by my erstwhile English teacher devoted to pedantry - which I joined so that I could tell everyone there how wrong they are - and ask the question.

February 17, 2019, 18:31
Kalleh
Oh, I'd love an Englishman telling them they are wrong. Your English teacher started it?