Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Midgets Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
There's a story about a Cranston, RI, woman who prevailed upon a manufacturer to stop using "midget" on its label. She is concerned because her daughter has dwarfism, although the word apparently didn't bother her until she had the child.

The problem is she didn't go far enough. There are Kosher Midget Gherkins, for example. Doesn't that stymatize Jewish "little people" who, if the last word means what it appears to, are habitual masturbators? And doesn't the word pickle itself demean the unfortunate alcoholics in our midst?

Forget losing that one word. The entire label should be left blank. And while she's at it, the woman should tell Disney to take "small" out of their Disneyland "It's a Small World" ride. Excise everything about Lillip;utians from Gulliver's Travels, cut the scenes in The Wizartd of Oz featuring the nchkins, don't show reruns of [Fantasy Island[/io], and stop breeding miniature horses.

Wow! I didn't realize what a giant, Herculean task this woman has ahead of her.

And I apologize to all the "big people" out there if I hurt their feelings with the last remark.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Proofreader>,

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the daughter is a dwarf, she has no complaint. A midget is a normally proportioned, but small - usually 4"10" or less- person with normal genetics. A specific genetic trait (See, I didn't even say, "abnormaility") renders one a dwarf. http://www.mayoclinic.com/heal...1012/DSECTION=causes

This is another term that has drifted of late, with those who fit neither category assuming them to be the same. Per the above link, a midget is usually one deficient in growth hormones, but without a genetic defect.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6173 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I wonder if you consider that woman small-minded?

posted Hide Post
But big mouthed. "Dwarf" is, in Germanic mythology, an undesirable critter from the standpoint of "righteous" folks. You'd think she'd be bemoaning "dwarf" instead: http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=dwarf

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

<Proofreader>
posted
That's right. She should be on the astronomers for their dwarf stars.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's a tough business being politically correct, isn't it? Still, while maybe not in this situation, there is a fine line, I think. I know we've talked about this before, but I wonder where that line rests.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kalleh, you met one of the two smallest people I've ever personally known (Linda, the sub-petite red-head) but not Greg Murphy, the 4'10" man I worked with. Murphy, like Linda, was normally proportioned, and, being Irish, nicely sidestepped the whole PC issue: He referred to himself as a Leprechaun. Smile (And, being no fool, hired himself out to an Irish pub on St Paddy's day)

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
(And, being no fool, hired himself out to an Irish pub on St Paddy's day)

Was it a mini-bar?