Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Developing world Login/Join

posted
Why do we insist on calling non-technological societies by the above name? Isn't it a euphamism for "exploited people?"

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6172 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Would you see "third world" and "developing world" as being synonymous?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
It's a handy label. It's certainly better than "exploited people". Do you think that every country in the developing world is exploited? It's certainly less emotive and more descriptive.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
BTW, I suppose I brought up a related, but different, question and I didn't answer you, Geoff. I don't think that "developing world" is a euphemism for "exploited people." After all, we were all "developing" at some point. While one could say the U.S. was exploited when people from England first arrived, it was that exploitation that freed us.

It's an interesting question, though.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
it was that exploitation that freed us.

Um... Isn't that somewhat recursive? If the British hadn't exploited America you wouldn't be free, as there would be nothing to free yourselves from.

Actually, I know what you mean. If we hadn't exploited America you'd probably all be subsistence farmers scratching a living on the east coast of America...

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since the first English settlers were religious fanatics who were not wanted in England, it was "good riddance" as far as the English were concerned.

My original point is that we seem to hubristically assume that our technological way of life is in all ways superior to successful lifestyles in less "high tech" countries or regions, and insist on "developing" them. I therefore think the "Borg" were symbols for us!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6172 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Um... Isn't that somewhat recursive? If the British hadn't exploited America you wouldn't be free, as there would be nothing to free yourselves from.
I suppose that's another way to look at it. Wink BTW, Geoff, the first English settlers weren't all religious fanatics.