New
Find
Notify
Tools

NIMBY / Nimby Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
From today's newspaper:
    Call it the ultimate Nimby law for railroads. The City Council of Washington, D.C., recently passed a not-in-my-back-yard regulation that ... would ban trains carrying hazardous chimicals from passing through the nation's capital.
    . . . .Feel safer? Think again. While Washington's law might give residents a sense of security, it would do so at the expense of surrounding areas.
This may be the first time I've seen nimby written as a word, rather than all-caps as an acronym (NIMBY).

Is the term familar on the other side of the pond?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's quite commonly used over here. Since we don't use "back yard" much (we'd use "garden"), it obviously originated on your side.

I've seen it written as both "NIMBY" and "nimby", but it is several years since I've read a piece where the author felt it necessary to spell out the acronym.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I've never heard the term NIMBY. I like it, though!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Shu, I think it has been written here as nimby. However, when I looked it up in Onelook, most of the entries were in caps. I found this from word origins: "...for not in my back yard, 1980, Amer.Eng., supposedly coined by Walter Rodgers of the American Nuclear Society." I had thought it around longer than that!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I've always seen it in caps, and would guess the term to be 25 to 30 years old. Anyone who's hung around city planning people will have heard the term.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Once The Times has accepted an acronym as a word in its own right, then its style guidance to its writers will be to write it as a word.

The Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA) is one organisation whose title has now been accepted as a word and The Times now writes it as Abta.

The latest Times Style and Usage Guide shows Nimby (with an initial capital).

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It certainly appears in my dictionary as a recognised word although it's not one I'd use for the same reason Arnie pointed out.

Posts: 291 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The Word Detective has an article here.
quote:
According to the Oxford Dictionary of New Words, "nimby" was coined in about 1980 by the head of the American Nuclear Society, a "pro-nuclear" group.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post