Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Blow-in; a new (nude?) sense
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blow-in; a new (nude?) sense Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
Our a "blow in": follow-up thread has gone off on a lovely discussion of beer (what else? Big Grin), which I'd hate to interrupt with this sober subject. Hence this new thead to inform you of the latest developments! From Thursday's Wall Street Journal:

ATTACK OF THE STICKY SHOWER CURTAIN
Phsysicts, Designers Tackle Delicate Problem
of Blow-In, But Does Anything Work?

The campaign is on to fend off the unwanted advances of your shower curtain.

Shower curtain "blow-in," the experience of having a damp, sticky polyester liner sweep in and envelop your bare legs, has long been one of the unacknowledged nuisances of bathing. Now, an unlikely coalition of physicists, bath-room-product makers, and lodging providers are trying to attack the problem.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Physicist, schmisicyst! The solution's soooo simple! Don't shower during tornados, when the outside air pressure is much lower than the bathrom presure, which causes suck-out, which is usually observed as blow-in.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Blow-in! Suck-out! Nudity!

I need a cold shower now.

Does the temp of the water make a difference in where the curtain goes?

I suppose we could just all shower like my 10 y.o. son - doesn't even close the curtain! Does not mesh well with the rest of us leaving reading material around in the bathroom, though.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:

I suppose we could just all shower like my 10 y.o. son - doesn't even close the curtain! Does not mesh well with the rest of us leaving reading material around in the bathroom, though.

I hope you've got a concrete slab floor, or you're gonna be replacing the flooring one of these days - about the time he's eighteen and moves out!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy:

I hope you've got a concrete slab floor, or you're gonna be replacing the flooring one of these days - about the time he's eighteen and moves out!

Actually, we are currently working on trying to raise a responsible human being (a daunting task!), and are providing daily . . . umm . . . corrective counselling regarding his showering behaviors. Considering his shocking reluctance to wear clothes in the house, his apparent inability to keep his drawing materials off the floor, and his delightful penchant for filling his bed with books and sleeping on top of them like a dragon guarding his hoard, this could take some time. Confused

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Shower curtain "blow-in," the experience of having a damp, sticky polyester liner sweep in and envelop your bare legs ..."

In the interest of scientific accuracy, let it be stated that in my experience (as a person not particularly vertically-challenged), the usual locus of attack is somewhat higher than the legs.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I must admit, this shower curtain "blow-in" problem has never been one for me. (Yet, considering the locus, maybe I wish it would be!) Why would a shower curtain "blow-in" anyway? Because the windows are open and there's coincidentally a strong wind? Confused

[You know me, I am the literalist here!]

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well my shower curtain tends to stick to the side of the bath rather than to me, so I don't really have this problem. However, I wonder if something as simple as sticking the curtain to the bath side (before either get wet) with something like Blu-Tack(R) might help? It wouldn't come undone due to getting wet if you stick it high enough, as the water can't go through the curtain and can't travel up, either.

[Having typed this as she was thinking it and thus with no real reflection, Cat sits back and waits for the inevitable shooting-down-in-flames of her idea.]

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post