Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scruples Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
We all know what having scruples means. The etymology of "scruples" is from a Latin word, scrupulus, meaning "small unit of measurement" and scrupus, meaning a rough stone.

Does anyone know how it evolved into meaning "an uneasy feeling arising from conscience or principles?"

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aput
posted Hide Post
The distinction is in Latin, and they were borrowed separately. Latin had a word scrupulus 'pebble, small sharp stone', which could also be used figuratively for 'nagging doubt, uneasiness'. This sense also gave them an adjective scrupulosus meaning both 'stony, rough' and 'precise'.

They also had scripulum, scrupulum, scrupulus 'a unit of weight', presumably the same word and in origin meaning 'pebble'. The change of vowel indicates that it's an old word, as /i/, /u/ fluctuated near labials in Old Latin, as in optumos, optimos.

The OED records the sense of doubt earlier (1526) than the apothecaries' weight (1564) in English.

Posts: 502 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
My logophile friend sent me this note about 'scruple':

"Scruple comes from the Latin for a rough pebble. So it also means a nagging pebble in the shoe of our conscience."

Now, I like that analogy. Smile

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So is there a "standard pebble"? I seem to recall that apothecary measure includes not just grains and drams but also scruples...

Posts: 6273 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post