Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beer quote Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
Richard will, I expect, already have seen this.
It's from the current edition of The Good Beer Guide - a publication which lists and rates pubs selling real ale in the UK.

In the section on Global Giants can be found

quote:

ANHEUSER-BUSCH UK

A wholly owned subsidiary of Anhheuser-Busch of St Louis. Missouri, has complained that it has not been listed previously in this section. We apologise for this egregious error.

The company brews Budweiser at the Stag Brewery, Lower Richmond Road, Mortlake, London,SW14 7ET, the former Watneys plant. Budweiser is brewed from rice (first on the label), malt and hops with chips of wood used to clarify the beer.
"Mortlake" can be roughly rendered in Modern English as "dead water", which some may consider is the ideal location for a brewery producing Budweiser.

Hope this helps guys.

Purgamentum init, exit purgamentum

Read all about my travels around the world here.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
No mention of its presumptuousness in using the Budweiser name when the real stuff is brewed in the Czech Republic, and has been for 800 years?

There, my token beer post!

Asa the beerophobic

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I will add only that the GBG is an essential publication for anyone wishing to visit the UK. Its only fault, if fault that be, is that it is quite selective about the pubs it includes simply to keep it to a reasonable size. Probably only about 20% of the UK's pubs actually make its pages.

So, whereas a pub in the GBG will be good, that does not mean that a pub not listed will be bad.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hilarious, Bob! Big Grin I especially love the "dead water" reference.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy:
No mention of its presumptuousness in using the Budweiser name when the real stuff is brewed in the Czech Republic, and has been for 800 years?

There, my token beer post!

Asa the beerophobic

There is actually - omitted that bit of the quote

quote:
A-B's Budweiser should not be confused with the classich Czech beer Budweiser Budvar

Purgamentum init, exit purgamentum

Read all about my travels around the world here.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post