Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anytime vs. "any time" Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
What is the distinction between anytime and any time? When is it proper to use one but not the other? The other but not the one?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
We rarely use "anytime" in UK English, but as I understand it, it's almost a filler word in such phrases as "He'll be here anytime soon". Which means "he'll be here soon - but I'm not sure when".

Any time doesn't have the same implication if immediacy. "He'll be here any time" means he'll be here - but we have no idea when. I'd not say, "He'll be here any time soon".

Of course, I might be wrong about the US usage.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That sounds correct to me, Richard. I always hestitate when writing it, though when in doubt, I usually stick with "any time."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
We rarely use "anytime" in UK English,
I just discovered a new search feature, and it confirms what you say.

We're familiar with GoogleNews seach, which covers the last month or so of news-publications, but I hadn't tried its Advanced news search, which is accessible from the News Search page. That feature allows you to restrict by country.

An advanced news search for anytime you gives "about 12,300" hits, as of this instant, but if you restrict the search to UK only, you get only 599. (Restrict it to US and you get "about 11,800"; Canada gives "about 924".)

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I don't know why, and I haven't looked this up, but I think I would say "anytime" almost any time that I use the word(s), except--well, just like that example 12 words ago. "Anytime" means something that can happen "whenever." "Come see us anytime." But I'm more likely to write it "any time" in the phrase, "Any time, any place," because "anyplace" is never used as one word, and I want to make them parallel constructions. Also, when used with the preposition "at," I like to split the word. "It is absolutely fine to telephone the house at any time of day or night."

I cannot tell you just what the tiny nuance is that causes me to split the word in some cases, but I do feel that there is a difference. Maybe some of our more learned linguists can explain it to me.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post