Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clearness Committees Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I was at a retreat for the last few days where we had a wonderful experience of participating in a clearness committee. I hadn't heard of it before, but it's a Quaker methodology of helping people make important decisions or to solve particular problems. We followed the procedure outlined in the link, and it was an extraordinary experience. I was one of committee members, and we could only ask clarifying types of questions. We weren't supposed to have eye contact with the focus person (not easy!), and we couldn't give advice, which again wasn't easy. The point is that the questions clarify the problem for the focus person and that only he or she has the answer. Of course, all the committee members must keep everything that was said in absolute confidentiality.

This was a professional event and not a religious event, and we were wondering if it has potential to be used in health care. Has anyone heard of this before or participated in one?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Don't know the term in relation to Quakers but it sets massive alarm bells ringing for me because I do know it in relation to Scientology aka Dianetics.

Scientologists use a technique called "clearing" and as they advance through the ranks, so to speak, they become different levels of "clear". It is a mumbo-jumbo mishmash of of brainwashing techniques. Scientoligists claim wonderful things for the technique, people not involved in this quasi-religion see it as sinister and manipulative.

You pays your money and takes your choice but personally I don't want my brain washed. I like it the dirty grey colour it is thanks.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
It's also somewhat similar to the interpersonal dialog technique advocated by pop psych guru Harville Hendrix.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It is not Scientology (and I don't know about Asa's person, though I will research him). Scientology is an insult to health professionals, and this retreat had leading physicians from the major medical schools in the U.S. who certainly wouldn't have supported Scientology! Many of Scientology's so-called "treatments" fly in the face of medical science, and I assure you that I was with a group of esteemed medical scientists.

As a matter of fact, one of the issues we did discuss informally was the ridiculous Scientology beliefs of Tom Cruise. Scientology is finally being exposed for what it is, thanks to Tom Cruise. In fact, at that very conference many of us applauded Cruise's recent plunging approval ratings. Americans are finally putting their money where their mouths are and aren't paying to get into his movies. The idea of a silent birth is so ridiculous that I won't even dignify it by a response.

So, no, a clearness committee is nothing like Scientology. Believe me on that. Perhaps my description made it sound more far-out than it really was. It reminded me of a psychotherapy session, in a way.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Asa, Harville Hendrix, from my Googling, seems like a relationship expert, not one who deals with professional issues. Do you have a link that describes his work in more depth than just about personal relationships?

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
OK, so how about the other Scientologist actors, such as John Travolta and Catherine Bell, the woman on JAG? And doesn't this Scientology stuff remind you of Werner Erhard's "EST" stuff?

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Asa, Harville Hendrix, from my Googling, seems like a relationship expert, not one who deals with professional issues. Do you have a link that describes his work in more depth than just about personal relationships?

No, he focuses only in interpersonal relationships, but I see a parallel between his techniques and the Quaker method. Truth to tell, I rather like his stuff.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
From my Googling, I couldn't find much about his "techniques" so I am not sure. The technique I saw was related to problems such as changing jobs or other work-related issues. I suspect it could be used for any sort of problem or issue, though.
quote:
OK, so how about the other Scientologist actors,

Asa, did you click my first link? It talks about other actors.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:

Asa, did you click my first link? It talks about other actors.

So it does. Hmmmmm.... Classic cult stuff - not unlike certain mainstream christian sects that practice, or used to practice excommunication, or torture. What ws that Marx said? Wink (No, not Groucho!)

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is Scientology

And I'm damned glad to hear it.
Maybe Ron Hubbard nicked the terminology from the Quakers.

posted Hide Post
Guys: Tiptoe carefully to avoid rapping Scientology. We live in an environmnet in which anyone anywhere can sue anybody anywhere else for anything at all, and have a 50-50 chance of winning; while Scientology has cadres of lawyers ready to pounce on the casual critic

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I'd expect as much from them, Dale.

The point is...this "clearness committee" has nothing at all to do with Scientology. Bob's quote: "It is Scientology" left out the "not" for some reason.

I almost regret posting this thread since it brought up one of my least favorite subjects, Scientology.

One thing that I learned from this clearness committee concept is the importance of listening to others and not giving your advice. Let your colleagues or friends or whomever come to their own conclusions, based on your discussions with them. That's about it. There were other parts I didn't like, for example the eye contact part.

As far as Scientology...those facts speak for themselves. All one needs to do is look at the research findings in areas such as birth and birthing or post-partum depression or clinical depression, and you'd find that Scientology views are not related to science in any way.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
"It is Scientology" left out the "not" for some reason.

Oops. Mea culpa. Bad editing to reomove the li9nk from the quote I'm afraid.