Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Ink-stained wretch" Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
In the paper, the editorialists called themselves "ink-stained kvetchers".

I thought that was a nice pun on the phrase "in-stained wretch," meaning a writer. But where does that phrase come from?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
I don't know, but I see a bunch of Yiddish-speaking type-setters.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Seeing jheem's comment, perhaps I should clarify what was meant by my question, "But where does that phrase come from?"

The italicized words referred to ink-stained wretch, and not to ink-stained kvetchers. Roll Eyes

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Another group has asked the same question. Here's their page on it.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
So, Jesse Sheidlower (of the OED) suggests that it was the Man Who Came to Dinner, i.e., Alexander Woolcott.

posted Hide Post
jheem, I'm not sure how you drew that from the site arnie noted. But Kurt Vonnegut's Deadeye Dickattributed it to Woolcott.

. . . .I have mentioned Alexander Woollcott [sic], the writer and wit and broadcaster and so on, who was a guest at our house one time. He coined that wonderful epithet for writers, "ink-stained wretches."
. . . .He should have seen me in my cage.

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
jheem: the Man Who Came to Dinner, i.e., Alexander Woolcott
wordnerd (quoting): I have mentioned Alexander Woollcott [sic], the writer and wit

Is is properly one l, or two? I've checked a bit but find it both ways, with no one considering the question.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

me: In the paper, the editorialists called themselves "ink-stained kvetchers".
The paper goofed. One who kvetches is called a 'kvetch', not a 'kvetcher'.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The WordWizard page spells his name both ways in the same post:
quote:
Who was ALEXANDER WOOLCOTT (1887-1943)? Noel Coward called him a "caged cobra." Harpo Marx thought he looked like something that had gotten loose from a Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Plump, owl-faced, acid-tongued Alexander Woollcott...

It looks like the correct spelling is "Woollcott". At least, that seems to be the way most online encyclopaedias and so on spell it. For example, see http://www.bartleby.com/65/wo/Woollcot.html

A Google search brings up 7,650 hits for "Alexander Woollcott" and about 4,600 for "Alexander Woolcott".

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
jheem, I'm not sure how you drew that from the site arnie noted. But Kurt Vonnegut's Deadeye Dick attributed it to Woolcott.

I googled around some more and found other references. Sheidlower's contribution of arnie's cited link was dropped somehow.

As for Woollcott's name, I misspelled it. Sorry about that.