Wordcraft Community Home Page
ramrodded

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/7540070656

October 18, 2012, 12:10
<Proofreader>
ramrodded
Avoidi g the political aspects of his actions, Paul Ryan entered a soup kitchen one night with a camera crew who filmed his washing what some said were clean dishes. The kitchen's director complained that Ryan hadn't been invited but "ramrodded" his way in past a volunteer.

The term was picked up by the media, none of whom seemed uncomfortable using it. However, I think the proper and more accurate term was "steamrollered". Any (non-political) judgments?
October 18, 2012, 14:19
tinman
Both words imply using a good deal of force. I think ramrodded is probably the better of the two words to use here, since it doesn't imply as much force as steamrolled. Either word, I think, is probably an exaggeration; I doubt that any great force was used. Perhaps "pushed his way in past a volunteer" would have been a better choice of words, though not as sensationalized.
October 18, 2012, 17:40
Geoff
I've always thought of "ramrodded" as vigorously leading a group, or stirring it to action, and not necessarily with evil intent.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti
October 19, 2012, 04:38
arnie
Wordnik gives two definitions of ramrod used as a verb: "To exert strict control over; supervise closely." and "To force passage or acceptance of: a group that ramrodded the bill through Congress." Neither of those definitions fits the context.

I'm with Proof: "steamrollered" would be better.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
October 19, 2012, 14:32
tinman
Wordnik also gives three definitions of steamroller used as a verb:
quote:
v. To smooth or level (a road) with a steamroller.
v. To overwhelm or suppress ruthlessly; crush.
v. To move or proceed with overwhelming or crushing force.

None of those definitions fits either. That's why I suggested a less forceful verb be used, such as pushed, shoved, or even forced.
October 20, 2012, 22:45
BobHale
I'd've gone with forced. I agree with tinman that "steamrollered" doesn't quite fit but I don't feel that "ramrodded" does either.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
October 21, 2012, 04:59
Geoff
Why not, "shoved his way in past a volunteer?" Forget steamrollers and ramrods, cheeky, thoughtless pushiness is what it is.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti
October 21, 2012, 20:25
Kalleh
Yet, we all know what was meant, correct?
October 21, 2012, 21:22
tinman
Yes, we all knew that he forced himself in, but we really don't know how much force was used. I doubt a lot of force was used, which ramrodded implies. I suspect the reporter chose that word to sensationalize it. We do love to exaggerate and sensationalize things.
October 22, 2012, 20:34
Kalleh
I think, however, this discussion is similar to one in the times smaller thread. As in that thread, you know what is meant, so why the big deal?
October 23, 2012, 02:51
zmježd
How about bullied his way in?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
October 23, 2012, 04:40
Geoff
"Bullied" implies threat; he was probably not threatening, just thoughtless, IMHO.

October 23, 2012, 06:21
<Proofreader>
quote:
I suspect the reporter chose that word to sensationalize it.

That was the quote from the kitchen's director, as reported. I think ramrodded has the implication of authority over another, which the crew did not have. Rather than bullied, perhaps bulled?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Proofreader>,
October 23, 2012, 10:13
Kalleh
"Bullied" implies threatening to me, Geoff.
October 23, 2012, 11:55
Geoff
Reread my post, Kalleh; we agree.

October 23, 2012, 20:35
Kalleh
Ah...sorry about that. I do think "bullying" implies a threat, though not everyone does. "Ramrodding" is a direct threat.
October 24, 2012, 09:16
Geoff
Depends on the receptivity of the ewe the ram is rodding, no? Roll Eyes