Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    A good old-fashioned grammar question.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A good old-fashioned grammar question. Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Here's a Google Ngram view of enjoy living / enjoy to live: http://books.google.com/ngrams...5&smoothing=3&share=

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Looks like pretty good evidence that it doesn't form part of most people's standard modern English grammar.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yep. Case closed.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Saw an ad today seeking funds for a group concerned with autism. Seems worthwhile but their promo urges viewers to 'Support Autism." I would certainly like to fight it, or defeat it, or rally against it, but is "support" a proper term to use in this context?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I don't think it's the correct phrase, Proof. I think it should be "support research on autism" or something like that. What are they "supporting" anyway? I'd sure want to know if I were donating. I'd not want to "support" some of those stupid ideas, like that vaccinations cause autism. But I'd be all for research on causes or treatment.

<Proofreader>
posted
Vaccinations don't cause autism but autism is responsible for many political rantings.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That's for sure. I recently heard that ranting from someone whom I had previously considered a critical thinker. I think it's all emotions since autism can be so debilitating.