Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    subitizing words in a sentence
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

subitizing words in a sentence Login/Join

Picture of zmježd
posted
I was reading some PowerPoint slides by a CalTech professor Mark Changizi, when I came across an interesting word: subitize 'to judge the number (of objects in a group) rapidly, accurately, and confidently without counting them'. It's from the Latin word subitus 'sudden', ppl of subeo 'to come / go under, succeed'. It was coined in 1949 in the field of psychology. Changizi has recently co-authored a paper on letter shapes that was mentioned in this article in the Daily Telegraph.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting word, Zmj. It made me wonder about exceptional talents that autistic people sometimes have in being able to accurately know the number of objects present, when they are in a large group (remember the "Rain Man" movie?). Would that be subitizing?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I think it's more in the real of being able to see three or four objects without counting them. The knowing how much change somebody dropped or the number of matches is a little out of the ordinary.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post