Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    I'm having my dinner for supper
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm having my dinner for supper Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
The use of "dinner" or "supper" is a common regional difference in the USA. We on the left coast normally say, "dinner," whereas my South Carolina relatavies say, "supper," as does my Indiana spouse. Is there any defining line between areas that use the different terms? How's it said in various parts of the UK?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I am not from the UK, but can I answer?

I noticed that about Sunflower when I was visiting you. Interestingly, in the Chicago area (I don't know about the rest of Illinios), we call the evening meal "dinner." However, growing up in Wisconsin, we called it "supper." After living here for a number of years, "supper" sounds strange, and I never use the word any more.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
In southern Ohio, the big noon meal we always had on Sundays was "dinner." Evening meals throughout the week were "supper." We say "supper" mostly in our family now, but sometimes also "dinner." Isn't it a class thing in the UK? I think Mrs. Slocombe described Miss Brahams' use of the word "supper" for the evening meal as "dead common," whereas Capt. Peacock had lunch at noon and dinner in the evening! And now Richard, Arnie and Bob, you should probably correct me. Wink

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
It's also a north/south thing in England.

In the south generally the midday meal is lunch, the late afternoon meal is tea, the evening meal is dinner and the late night meal is supper. Just about the only meal where we all agree about the name and the timing is breakfast.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
It is also a class thing, although probably less now than in earlier years.

The upper and middle classes would take lunch at midday, tea mid-afternoon, dinner in the evening. Supper would be a late-night snack. The working classes would eat their dinner midday and their tea or supper (the two were interchangeable) in the evening (although usually an hour or two earlier than their 'betters').

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arnie,

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
For me breakfast is in the morning, dinner is in the middle of the day, tea is early evening and supper is a light snack late in the evening.

Unless I'm eating out with any of those funny Southerners when I have lunch in the middle of the day and dinner in the middle of the evening.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I have breakfast in the morning, lunch near noon, and dinner in the evening. All other meals are officially snacks.

I like the Hobbit regime best, though . . .

breakfast, second breakfast, elevensies . . . etc

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have breakfast in the morning, lunch near noon, and dinner in the evening. All other meals are officially snacks.

Me, too, CW.
quote:
In southern Ohio, the big noon meal we always had on Sundays was "dinner."

However, I grew up in Wisconsin and used wordmatic's terminology then.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post