Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Methodology Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
For a project I am doing, part of the definition of distance education is "Teaching methodologies may be synchronous or asynchronous, and shall facilitate and evaluate learning..." We were criticized for the word "methodologies" because we were told that "methodology" is the "study of methods." We changed "methodology" to "methods."

However, when I look up "methodology," I am thinking we were right. Whereas one definition of "methodology" is "the branch of philosophy concerned with the science of method and procedure," it is this definition that I think works, "a set or system of methods, principles, and rules for regulating a given discipline, as in the arts or sciences." Or even this one, "a branch of pedagogics dealing with analysis and evaluation of subjects to be taught and of the methods of teaching them."

What do you think?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Big words don't necessarily mean big thoughts.

I said that to my boss once and almost got fired. Thank heaven for the union.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
We were criticized for the word "methodologies"

By whom? Did you point out to them the definitions you mention?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
arnie, the comments came on a survey we had sent out to our membership so they weren't in person. However, someone on the committee agreed, so I'll definitely point out the definitions to her.

Interestingly, I started a discussion about Methods vs. Methodology in 2008, though it was related to research design. Take a look at the poem at the end. Fun!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post