Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tup Login/Join

posted
A few days ago I saw a movie on TV which used the word, tup in the context of consummating a marriage. While I know that its original meaning was a ram, hence to do what rams do when they find a ewe, there seems to be no etymology for the word. Has anyone got an idea? And what does this say about the original use of Tupperware? Eek

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The online etymology dictionary has c.1300 as a first date, and says the word is of unknown origin. The same source gives 'Tupperware
1954, trademark (reg. U.S.), from Earl S. Tupper, president of Tupper Corp., + ware (n.). Patent claims use from 1950.'

I imagine Mr Tupper was unaware of the alternative meaning of his name.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found one reference suggesting that it's Scottish in origin, but without a guess as to its raison d'etre. I've not observed any rams mounting ewes, so I don't know if there's anything onamatopoeic about it. Just some language flotsam, it seems.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Geoff, here is an entry in the OED about a Scottish proverb:
quote:
1721 J. Kelly Compl. Coll. Scotish Prov. 307 The Lamb where it's tipped, and the Ewe where she's clipped. A proverbial Rule about Tythes; signifying that the Lamb shall pay Tythes in the Place where the Ewe was when she took the Ram, but the old Sheep where they were shorn

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post