Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doting parents Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
At the coffee shop this morning I saw a mother excessively doting over her child, billing and cooing and talking baby-talk to a boy who was too old for that and was clearly embarassed by it.

"Uxorious" refers to an overly-doting husband. Is there a like word for an overly-doting parent? We speak of a child being spoiled, but is there an adjective meaning a "spoiling" parent?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh--for an uxorious husband! winkI have never heard of that wonderful word. I would think there would be a similar word for doting parents--or wife....

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Well, Kalleh, yes, I suppose, but there's more to a happy relationship than mere uxoriousness. May I submit:

Her husband is sweet and uxorious,
But her marriage is far less than glorious.
Though he does dote on her,
He's a babe connoisseur,
And for sleeping around is notorious!

(Some words seem to just bring out the limerick in me. "Uxorious" turns out to be one of them.)

And as for an adjective describing an overly doting parent, may I suggest "criminally foolish"?

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Great limerick, CJ. big grin
And--I know exactly what you are saying. The fact is, I am far too independent to be doted upon. Still, I can fantasize about it! roll eyes

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
What you say, dear CJ, is not spurious:
To a marrige, miss-conduct's injurious.
If the husband's luxurious
The wife will be furious
And spouting forth comments sulphureous.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Excellent, H.e.u.

(And am I the only person here who, totally devoid of Latin scholarship, does not know the significance of your nom de computer?)

Rather than have this thread meander off its original topic into a limerickfest, as it now shows every sign of doing, let's continue this under Wordplay.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back to the original questions here...

I am a grandmother of the sweetest 10 month old girl alive! Is there a name for a doting grandmother?

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
quote:
CJ asked:
And am I the only person here who, totally devoid of Latin scholarship, does not know the significance of your nom de computer?)

"Here and everywhere"
In otherwords, my mind is scattered all over the place. wink

posted Hide Post
Morgan asks, "Is there a name for a doting grandmother?"

I don't know -- but thanks to Erin McKean's book, I can tell you that mammothrept, meaning a spoiled child, comes from a Greek word meaning "raised by one's grandmother".

posted Hide Post
Checking into uxor- words, I found:

uxorocide: murdering one's wife (or a man who does so)
It would seem to me that the correlative term for killing one's husband would be more useful.

And, in the department of "What a Difference a Single Letter Makes", we have
uxorovalent: capable of sex only with one's wife
uxoravalent: capable of sex only those other than one's wife

While each condition is rare, much marital friction results from the universal feminine intuition that uxoravalence is less rare than uxorovalence.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Great words, Wordnerd. Given recent posts on this site ("Wives"), I, too, am looking for the male equivalent to uxorocide! big grin