Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mazda Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
This isn't really a word discussion so much as it is a trade name query. Do you Brits still have light bulbs with the Mazda brand on them? If so, who makes them and/or holds the trademark? They went away in the US of A many years ago for some odd reason. Now when you buy a Mazda it's an automobile, which makes absolutely no sense to me. How did the ancient Persian god of light, Ahura Mazda, end up as a car? It's bad enough that the Roman god Mercury got his head stuck on a car, only to be replaced by three hockey sticks in a round escutcheon, but Mazda? Blasphemy!!!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I haven't checked if it's still going, but the trade name is still familiar here. According to this tale of woe, they were still on sale in September 2001.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I remember them well "The betting's brisk as hopes grow stronger, but Mazda lamps stay brighter longer.

Sadly this (amusing) story says more about the ignorance of the writer than it does about the comparative merits of incandescant and flourescent lamps.

Providing one's elctricity installation is in good order, flourescent lamps last around ten times longer, and use around 20% of the electricity of comparable incandescant lamps. I know; I have used flourescent lamps in my house ever since they became available (about ten years) and have replaced only about three of them in that time. Plus each one saves me between £10 and £20 pounds worth of electricity a year.

Why do you think all hotels and other public buildings now use the things?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Richard,

He's not doubting the merits of flourescent-style lamps over the older incandescent type. He says he can't use them because the shades won't fit over them, because they aren't the traditional bulb shape. I'm using Philips "energy saver" bulbs which are the normal shape, but some I bought earlier were rather like twin miniature flourescent tubes, folded up into ovals. Perhaps only that type were available in his supermarket?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Do you Brits still have light bulbs

It has been a long day, and not a very good one at that. I am sitting here at work, late, trying to get a document out. So...I peak on wordcraft and see Asa's queston to the Brits.

Oh, how I wanted to comment on that phrase, Asa, but...I am too nice to start this debate again! Wink

I can tell you for sure that I haven't seen "Mazda" light bulbs.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Quote "...He's not doubting the merits of flourescent-style lamps over the older incandescent type..."

I realise that the initial thrust of his argument was the spurious one that his lampshades wouldn't fit - but he did then go on to complain about the supposed deficiencies of the flourescent type.

Apart from the fact that is has been, for many years, possible to get "bulb-shaped" flourescents it is also possible to get lampshades with fittings that will suit any type of lamp - and to get many dozens of them for the cost of a year's electricity cost savings by switching to flourescents.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post