Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lost words Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
In an very nice article about grammar that I will post about elsewhere, the author mentioned Jeffrey Kacirk's "The Word Museum" book (Touchstone, 2000). Here are a number of words that once were frequently used, but now are only found in antique dictionaries. I need to get that book and read about others because I love some of these:

Glox - the sound of liquids when shaken in a barrel.

Fribbler - a trifler

Flamfloo - a gaudily dressed female, one whos chief pleasure consists of dress (we have one of those in my office!)

Thrunched - very angry, displeased

Quanked - overpowered by fatigue

Cramble - to walk ill, as with corns on the feet; to hobble

Some of those are wonderful! I had on some fashionable shoes the other day and was definitely crambling. I have to say, though, I am rather thrunched that "epicaricacy" isn't there!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Quanked sounds like one of those words that whould be dirty, but isn't. Or maybe that fatigue is a special sort . . ..

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh: Glox - the sound of liquids when shaken in a barrel.
To RE and BobH: my beery wish to you is, "A glox in both your houses."

(You too, cat and arnie.)

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a marvelous show over here called 'Call My Bluff' where each team of three (there are 2 teams) provides three different definitions to an obscure English word and the other team have to decide which one is true. Is this where your bluffing game comes from?

Posts: 291 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AT BLOODY LAST!!!!!

At last I've been able to get rid of that very annoying 'junior' title on this site. I've been posting on and off all day in an attempt to lose it. Now I feel more like one of you.

posted Hide Post
Hee hee. It's great when that happens, isn't it, Doad?

Next milestone is the 100th post... Smile

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anything change when I hit 100? I'm just glad I don't have to be 'junior' that long. Perhaps it's just me but I can't tell you how irritating and annoying I found being called 'junior'. At least it encouraged me to post more, perhaps that's why they chose it.

posted Hide Post
No, nothing changes - it's just one of those ends-in-a-zero milestones. Kind of makes you feel like you've ARRIVED. Well, did me Smile.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Doad! Big Grin

We could change the software and have other designations, but I might become a little embarrassed! Red Face

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Yes, Kalleh? Embarrassed? What would the designation be for over 7500? Prolific? Exhuberant? Verbose? Well-travelled?

You know - this could become it's own thread . . . what other titles could posters have . . .

0-20 Junior
21-100 Tolerable
101-200 Experienced

etc?

~Dalai Lama

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Many sites have "grades" based on number of posts, but I don't think it's a very good idea, as it encourages posting for the sake of it. It can be exasperating sometimes to scroll down a page that is mainly composed of messages saying, in effect, "Me too".

It can also be intimidating in some cases for a less prolific poster to reply to a post by a more "senior" member.

Personally, I think that the current system works quite well; the "junior" tag helps to remind us that the poster is new to the board, and may not be completely familiar with our little ways. The "member" tag applied to everyone else is egalitarian, reflecting the equality of us all.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Oh yes, I agree with you, Arnie. I just think it might be fun to try out some other words . . . descriptors, if you will. Just because it's fun, but not because I think we need labels.

~Dalai Lama

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
It would be a relatively simple task to create new levels based on the number of posts; it is available as an option in the forum software. Although, as I said, I am not personally in favour of a change, if enough people wanted it I am sure wordcrafter would agree.

Does anyone else have any views?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

posted Hide Post
Call me shallow, but to be honest I never stopped to think about why the title junior was required, I just knew I hated it. I agree that too many level descriptions wouldn't work and would lead to pointless postings. I also accept the point that the title 'junior' may highlight a members inexperience and certainly I have been very touched by the warm welcome everyone has given me. However, as the number of posts you've made is always displayed anyway, why do we need (notice it is 'we' now that I am a full member) a special title? Surely the level of inexperience is obvious in the number of postings made and if we (I love that) do need an additional marker, could it not be something more subtle?

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
We certainly are glad to have you here as one of us, Doad!

I'm not very adept at subtle so I'll let those of you who are good at it talk about what would work. Perhaps the junior title is all that's needed.

I'm honestly not suggesting any change to the options, arnie.

~Dalai Lama

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I can understand why you didn't like the "junior" soubriquet, Doad. Perhaps "New Member" might be a better title? On the other hand, we have several people who only post infrequently and so might take a year or so before reaching the dizzy heights of full "Member". They might object to being called "new".

Has anyone any other suggestions?

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Caterwauller:

I'm not very adept at subtle

You amaze me!!! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I do seem to have opened up a can of worms here! I would like to assure you all that I am not normally such a pain. Roll Eyes My thesaurus lists alternatives to 'junior' as 'subordinate, lesser, lower, minor, secondary, inferior.' I think that is a fair summary of why I didn't like it!

I also tried to think of alternative words and the best I could come up with was either 'novice member' or my preferred one, 'neophyte member'. It seemed to me that 'neophyte' was a suitably ambitious word to reflect the nature of the group as well as having a long history behind it. My treasured dictionary dates it from 1599 and defines it as 'One who is newly initiated into anything; a novice.'

By subtle, I was only thinking of either a small symbol next to the name or perhaps the name being in a different colour.

I will try not to post on this topic again, lol.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am not normally such a pain.

Prove it!

~Dalai Lama

posted Hide Post
I know you only said that to goad me into posting again on this thread when I said I wouldn't! Like Oscar Wilde I can resist everything except temptation, nevertheless;

I promise to be less controversial and disruptive in the future and I apologise in advance for the many times I know I will probably fail to keep that promise. Wink

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Can Tree Member
Doan Tree Member
Curmudgeon
Persnickety
Nit Picker

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
JT? What about
Olf Art

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Believe me, I wouldn't go for Senior Member! Mad I would take another name and become a Junior again!

"Junior" to me means youthful or a novice. Your perception of the word, Doad, is interesting. I don't think of "junior" as negative at all. Oh...to be a junior again!

I agree with arnie about not having more designations. However, if others perceive "junior" in the same way that Doad does, we could change it. Another site I know has a "newby" designation, and I like that. We could change "junior" to "newby."

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I've never seen it spelt that way. If I were to spell it (unlikely) I'd write "newbie". To my mind it has very negative connotations; more so perhaps than "junior". Newbies are seen by others as clueless people blundering about where they don't understand. The general perception of newbies is rather similar to the way newsgroup users reacted to the influx of posters from AOL ten years or so ago.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would take another name and become a Junior again! ... Oh...to be a junior again!
If only it were so easy as simply changing one's name in real life! Frown

posted Hide Post
Hmm... I have no real objection to the 'junior' title, but I absolutely love Doad's suggestion of 'neophyte'!

Symbolic to the linguaphile theme of the board, something that most educated people would be able to take a guess at if they didn't know the meaning (just from the 'neo' part) - and, most importantly, tongue in cheek of course!

The only potential problem is that some people might not get the joke and think we're all up ourselves, instead of seeing it as a bit of fun. Smile

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I were to spell it (unlikely) I'd write "newbie". To my mind it has very negative connotations; more so perhaps than "junior". Newbies are seen by others as clueless people blundering about where they don't understand.
Your perception is interesting, arnie. I had always liked the word. Oh, and your spelling of it is correct, "newbie." I just misspelled it.

"Neophyte" would be fine with me. I don't see a problem with that word at all, Cat. It has no negative connotations at all to me. I would think of a "neophyte" as one who is new to the board. It probably is more descriptive in that way than "junior" is.

There is one advantage of "junior," though, if you think about it. Look at what it made Doad do. He quickly posted a lot to get rid of the "junior" label! Wink

posted Hide Post
I always suspected that there was an ulterior motive behind 'junior' although I would argue in my defence that I would have posted in that volume even if I'd been a 'neophyte'. Cat is perfectly correct that as well as being a good, descriptive and academic word for the group it also appealed to my sense of humour.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I think I might just start calling Doad "Junior" now, for the fun of it (and because he's always going on about me being older . . . those 5 months really make a difference, apparently!).

Thanks for joining the board, Junior!

~Dalai Lama

posted Hide Post
Don't you dare start that old timer!

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Eh? Can't hear ya! Let me find my hearing aids and stronger spectacles, Sonny.

Another word question -
what is a whippersnapper?

~Dalai Lama

Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Why do we have to bow to dang-blasted political correctness? Can't we just call a junior member a junior member and be done with it? I was a junior member in my day, and nary a peep did you hear out of me. I say: "poppycock, balderdash, and faerie dust!" Now, where'd I put my hot water bottle? Cough.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
what is a whippersnapper?

The term dates from 1674 and is a jingling extension of 'whip-snapper' to describe a cracker of whips. As this is not a particularly senior position to have it has come to mean 'a diminutive or insignificant person, especially a sprightly or impertinent young fellow'.

In case anyone's interested, 'Poppycock' is American slang dating from 1863, meaning nonsense or rubbish. 'Balderdash' has a rather longer history. It is first recorded as 1596 but the meaning at that time doesn't appear to be known, though in 1599 it is known to refer to 'froth'. In 1674 it was used to also refer to 'a senseless jumble of words' and I have found a reference to it in 1693 to refer to 'a jumbled mixture of liquors'. Of course, if you jumble your liquor that much you're bound to end up talking 'a senseless jumble of words!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doad,

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
LOL @ jheem!

Those histories are great, Doad! Thanks!

~Dalai Lama