posted
I wrote this limerick for OEDILF:

My mom says I shouldn't say bust
As past tense of break...that I must
Say broke or it's broken.
(Though sometimes when jokin'
I'll talk of big busts with such lust!)

Obviously it is a boy talking, and not I. Wink

Anyway, the question has come up as to whether bust used this way is a slang use or not. I read it that way in the online AHD, but an OEDILFer says that M-W only identifies a slang of bust as being an arrest. Who is right?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Although it's rather a casual use, in the UK we'd certainly recognise the word's use as meaning "broken".

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Are you querying whether the use of bust in this way is slang or not? M-W online gives for the verb:
quote:
a : to break or smash especially with force; also : to make inoperative <busted my watch> b : to bring an end to : BREAK
So, it is definitely in the dictionary, although they, unlike others, don't appear to mark it specifically as slang.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Bust in this sense is from a dialectal pronunciation of burst; cf. cuss and hoss.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I looked it up in Dictonary.com, and here is the AHD entry.

That surely indicates that it is slang. Am I wrong then? Or is it debatable (that's the perfect situation for the correct use of "moot.")?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post