Wordcraft Community Home Page
My bologna has a first name...

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/9051075854

May 02, 2007, 00:35
Myth Jellies
My bologna has a first name...
Bologna--Baloney

Just why has the pronunciation of the sausage deviated so far from the pronunciation of the city it was named after?

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp
May 02, 2007, 08:05
zmježd
Off hand, I'd say it's the palatal nasal, the weird (to anglophone eyes) orthography -gn-, and the tendency to reduce unstressed vowels (i.e., the first o) to schwa. It also helps that almost nobody spells bologna the sausage as Bologna the city. Also, a geminate palatal nasal is just too foreign an articulation for non-Italian speakers.

It's also funny that a dish of spaghetti with the eponymous sauce (or ragù) is called bolognese by almost everybody else but those in the States. Folks have been having trouble with the pronunciation of this northern Italian city for a long while: the Romans called it Bononia. The first n went through a process of dissimilation to become Modern Italian l.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
May 05, 2007, 11:40
<Geoffrey Sanders>
Isn't the Italian gn the same sound as the Spanish Ñ? That's becoming common in the USA.
May 05, 2007, 12:24
zmježd
Isn't the Italian gn the same sound as the Spanish Ñ?

Yes, they're both palatal nasals.

That's becoming common in the USA.

Might be, but most US speakers pronounce canyon with an /nj/ instead of an /ɲ/: /'kænjən/ ~ /ka'ɲɔn/.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.