Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    My bologna has a first name...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My bologna has a first name... Login/Join

posted
Bologna--Baloney

Just why has the pronunciation of the sausage deviated so far from the pronunciation of the city it was named after?

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Off hand, I'd say it's the palatal nasal, the weird (to anglophone eyes) orthography -gn-, and the tendency to reduce unstressed vowels (i.e., the first o) to schwa. It also helps that almost nobody spells bologna the sausage as Bologna the city. Also, a geminate palatal nasal is just too foreign an articulation for non-Italian speakers.

It's also funny that a dish of spaghetti with the eponymous sauce (or ragù) is called bolognese by almost everybody else but those in the States. Folks have been having trouble with the pronunciation of this northern Italian city for a long while: the Romans called it Bononia. The first n went through a process of dissimilation to become Modern Italian l.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Geoffrey Sanders>
posted
Isn't the Italian gn the same sound as the Spanish Ñ? That's becoming common in the USA.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Isn't the Italian gn the same sound as the Spanish Ñ?

Yes, they're both palatal nasals.

That's becoming common in the USA.

Might be, but most US speakers pronounce canyon with an /nj/ instead of an /ɲ/: /'kænjən/ ~ /ka'ɲɔn/.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post