Wordcraft Community Home Page
One right answer

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/9180080207

October 11, 2022, 18:12
BobHale
One right answer
Here's a question that I have just been asked by a Chinese colleague. She wants to know the best answer to this exam question.
The master ordered the dinner __________ (serve) at once.
The problem is that I can think of multiple answers "served", "be served", "to be served" and that's before we even consider forms with modal auxiliaries. What form would you suggest is right. Personally, because of the "at once", I favour "be served". Remember in the minds of the examiners there can only be one right answer.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
October 12, 2022, 04:12
Geoff
I would think that "to be served" has the best shot, but I can't read the Chinese mind. I find the given sentence awkward. "...that the dinner_______" works better for me. Is the person(s) who prepare the test a native English speaker?
October 12, 2022, 16:22
BobHale
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
Is the person(s) who prepare the test a native English speaker?

No. They never are. The test papers are prepared and distributed nationally by Chinese officials. And that's why they ALWAYS contain this kind of problem. My thought was "be served" because "to be be served" sounds a bit Downton-Abbeyish to me.

October 13, 2022, 04:31
Geoff
I hope those Chinese officials watched Downton Abbey!
October 13, 2022, 18:08
BobHale
They probably did. For reasons that escape me it is very popular over here.

October 18, 2022, 14:56
bethree5
Hmm. I agree "to be served" sounds stilted. Of course it might have been one of those BBC series butlers speaking hoity-toitily to his underlings.

But I would only say "be served" in this sentence: "The master ordered that dinner be served at once."
October 18, 2022, 19:06
BobHale
bethree5 - I agree completely but the question didn't have the word "that" so it isn't an option.

November 21, 2022, 19:47
Kalleh
"To be served" doesn't sound stilted to me. That's what I'd suggest. "Be served" or "served" sound they they are missing something, to me.