Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One right answer Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
Here's a question that I have just been asked by a Chinese colleague. She wants to know the best answer to this exam question.
The master ordered the dinner __________ (serve) at once.
The problem is that I can think of multiple answers "served", "be served", "to be served" and that's before we even consider forms with modal auxiliaries. What form would you suggest is right. Personally, because of the "at once", I favour "be served". Remember in the minds of the examiners there can only be one right answer.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would think that "to be served" has the best shot, but I can't read the Chinese mind. I find the given sentence awkward. "...that the dinner_______" works better for me. Is the person(s) who prepare the test a native English speaker?

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
Is the person(s) who prepare the test a native English speaker?

No. They never are. The test papers are prepared and distributed nationally by Chinese officials. And that's why they ALWAYS contain this kind of problem. My thought was "be served" because "to be be served" sounds a bit Downton-Abbeyish to me.

posted Hide Post
I hope those Chinese officials watched Downton Abbey!

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
They probably did. For reasons that escape me it is very popular over here.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Hmm. I agree "to be served" sounds stilted. Of course it might have been one of those BBC series butlers speaking hoity-toitily to his underlings.

But I would only say "be served" in this sentence: "The master ordered that dinner be served at once."

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
bethree5 - I agree completely but the question didn't have the word "that" so it isn't an option.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
"To be served" doesn't sound stilted to me. That's what I'd suggest. "Be served" or "served" sound they they are missing something, to me.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post