Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any thoughts Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
Someone recently posted this on a teachers board that I belong to and I thought I'd ask for the thoughts of anyone here.

quote:
- Did you ever go to Europe?
- I didn't finish it yet.
- I wish you would have told me.
- If only you would have called.
Hi everyone! The above would all be considered mistakes in most English tests and marked as incorrect. Yet they are all constructions that are used regularly by Americans. I'd be interested to know how other teachers explain this contradiction.

My first thoughts are that
a) none of those sentences contains a grammar mistake
b) all of those sentences may sometimes be marked as if they did contain a mistake in the mistaken application of a "one correct way" principle
c) the last two sound a little stylistically awkward to my ear but that's just me
d) anyone who insists that they are grammatically incorrect rather than simply stylistically awkward is not someone that I would want teaching my kids

Obviously I haven't posted that response. I just wondered if anyone here had any relevant observations.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
The first thing that comes to my mind is what I learned here. With all four sentences, one knows exactly what is meant, right? So what's the problem?

For a) I suppose the "correct" way is: "Have you ever gone to Europe?"

For b) I suppose it is: "I haven't finished it yet."

For c) and d) what is the problem?

She is right that Americans use those constructions. I am not sure that our English teachers would consider them to be mistakes.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first one suggests that a plan was made, IMO. Otherwise I do find it awkward.

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Oh I know exactly what people think is wrong with each one and exactly what they think the right structure should be. I just think they are wrong (the people, not the sentences). Grammatically I don't think there is anything actually wrong with any of them.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I agree, Bob, I can imagine a non-native English speaker, or one not used to particular regionalisms might be confused.

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I are unable to find eras.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I don't see anything wrong with them, either. I just thought I should have. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post