Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Outspoken Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Do you consider the adjective "outspoken" to be positive, negative or neutral? I almost always consider it to be negative, though a few of my colleagues think it could be both. I bring the subject up because someone who was interviewing for a job was told that she wasn't hired because she wasn't "outspoken enough."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I think I usually consider it negative too, but I guess it would depend on the context. You wouldn't want someone who was expected to be a leader of a group of headstrong people to be retiring, but on the other hand, you wouldn't want someone who needed to exercise extreme tact in a delicate situation to be outspoken!

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As with other things, I suspect beauty lies in the eye of the beholder.

Bob

Posts: 56 | Location: Santa Clara County, CAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
As BobK and WM have indicated, it depends on the context. The word as such is neutral.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Arnie, I have never considered it "neutral"...only negative. My colleagues agree with me.

In looking it up, it can mean "frankness or without reserve," which I suppose can be positive or negative, though I think generally speaking without reserve to be negative. It can also mean "to outdo or excel in speaking," which is certainly positive. Another definition is "to utter frankly or boldly," which again could be taken either way.

I guess you are right, Arnie. However, I don't think it a good reason to give for not hiring someone.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think it a good reason to give for not hiring someone
On its own, no. But I assume there were other reasons as well. It is, however, rather refreshing to see that they didn't want to hire a 'yes-man' or 'yes-woman'.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I suppose...