Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tall Poppy Syndrome Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I was at a conference yesterday, and the speaker was talking about lateral violence in nursing. I am not sure if the rest of you know what that is, but it's similar to bullying. That is, a colleague might cut down a peer publicly or yell at her/him or perhaps post negatively about her/him on social media.

Anyway, in her talk she mentioned the "tall poppy syndrome." Have you heard it? I had not, and when I looked it up in Wikipedia, it says it's a pejorative term used in the UK, Australia, New Zealand and other "Anglosphere" nations (they don't mention the US). The definition, for those who don't know it, is a phenomenon where those with talents and achievements are resented by their peers. I am sure we've all seen that! It's often called "sour grapes."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, heck, it was I who posted about it. Since I never use the phrase, I just didn't remember. Thanks, goofy!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Goofy's thread was nostalgic as Jerry, Missann and Wordmatic all have died; kerby and petafromoz were only here for a short while; wordnerd was a sock puppet of Shufitz, who doesn't post that much anymore. Thank goodness for arnie, proof and neveu!