Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just deserts Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
The public editor of the Chicago Tribune, Timothy McNulty, wrote a column talking about how they respond to mistakes they make. I was surprised about this comment:

"Not every perceived error, however, is actually wrong. I received many messages charging a headline 'Just deserts for revamped Soldier Field' was wrong, wrong, wrong and the word should be spelled 'desserts.'

Actually, the headline writer was correct. In the wonderful world of English usage, when used in the expression 'just deserts,' the word goes back to a Latin root word meaning to deserve punishment or a reward, not to the French root for the sweet delight at the end of a meal, 'dessert.'

I have to admit that I didn't know that. Isn't it pronunced like "desserts," though, and not "deserts?"

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I thought it was.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
See The Word Detective - the final paragraph of his article.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Isn't it pronunced like "desserts," though, and not "deserts?"

I've always pronounced it like "desserts". I would have spelled it incorrectly, too, I guess!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
What's interesting about that phrase is that the "dessert" origin would totally make sense. There'd not even be a reason to doubt it. I can see why the readers complained to the Tribune.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't it be fun to have a whole meal where all you have is just dessert? MMmmmm. Sundays and cakes and pies and fruit and cheesecake and . . .

I think I better go get my cheerios.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Laverne makes excellent cheesecake, and in fact I married her just for her desserts

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, I see. Laverne is your just desserts. Wink

I have to say, I make an awfully mean chocolate mousse. [Now I am wondering how "mean" came to be used like that. Roll Eyes]

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I make an awfully mean chocolate mousse.
(Visions of a little brown rodent scuttling about biting people's ankles.) Big Grin

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post