Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sparks redux Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
Quite some time ago Asa asked whether there was a term for a shower of sparks, such as that produced while grinding metal.

There's apparently a term for this in the fireworks business. This came up in a report on the recent tragedy in a Rhode Island nightclub, where a shower of sparks, from the rock band's pyrotechnic display, ignited a deadly flash-fire. At least 96 people have died.
quote:
They're called "mini-jets" or "gerbes," a French word for a shower of sparks. A commmon pyrotechnic, they provide a swift, theatrical punch of brightness. The device used was 'a combination of a road flare with metallic shavings in it.' The burning metal gives off a rapid burst of energy to produce the sparklike effect.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
A sidenote:

Reports from the scene relate testimony from survivors that many believed the fire to be part of the show, at least at first. There is even actual footage of the event (shot by someone attending the concert) of the band continuing to play as the set was ablaze behind them.

TrossL recently mentioned to me that she was afraid that Kalleh was pissed at her due to her (Kalleh's) belief that she (TrossL) was not as sympathetic towards victims of tragedy as she (TrossL again) might be. At the risk of incurring K.'s similar wrath (if, in fact this was the case, I don't really know) I can't help but wonder at the sensibilities of people who remain in a burning building in the mistaken belief that it's all "show biz."

It's a tragedy, yes, undoubtedly, but still... There other victims of other tragedies to whom my heart goes out more readily. Stupid people are their own worst punishment. I grieve not just with but for their families.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I was never mad at TrossL--and can't remember the thread to go back and say that. And--I certainly respect your opinions, as well, CJ. I must sound a lot more petty on this board than I am in real life. Sorry, folks. Frown

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting, Shoo. I tried to find "gerbes" in dictionary.com, onelook, and a French-English dictionary--to no avail.

I had revived this question at one point with a coinage for the spraying of sparks. However, I like yours better.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Agreed, Kalleh. But you can find the the word 'gerbes' in discussions in the fireworks industry, as in this price-list (scroll down to the yellow-highlighted items).

It looks like the term is far from new. A 1911 encyclopedia (apparently Britannica, but the site is coy) says, "Gerbes are choked cases, not unlike Roman candles, but often of much larger size. Their fire spreads like a sheaf of wheat. They may be packed with variously coloured stars, which will rise 30 ft. or more." And here's a note suggesting that the term used in the trade as far back as 1824.

There's a published Illustrated Dictionary of Pyrotechnics, but the text is not on-line.

[This message was edited by shufitz on Sun Feb 23rd, 2003 at 16:13.]

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Graham Nice
posted Hide Post
What does redux mean then? Rabbit did it and it has always bothered me.

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Redux means brought back, returned to. From the Latin reducere, to lead back.

Dunno about your rabbit.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post