Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Turbine Login/Join

posted
In recent years, the term, "turbo," which is a prefix meaning, "having or concerning a turbine," has become a Pavlovian term. Ring the "turbo" bell and cunsooomerz salivate. One finds "turbo" nasal hair removers, computerized tax programs, ad infinitum. OED says: http://www.etymonline.com/inde...ame=0&search=turbine
I suspect that this is in error, and that there's a Greek root hidden in the Latin. (Partridge says there is) Also, OED says, "turbo" is nominative, thus making it a noun, but the "o" ending suggests a first person singular verb. I'm confused! My head is spinning like a turbine! Is there a linguist in the house who can make sense of this?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
turbō is a 3rd declension noun, like homō.
The American Heritage Dictionary of Indo-European Roots says it is borrowed from Greek.

posted Hide Post
Ah, now it makes sense. It's only been 55 years since I took Latin in high school. One does forget...

As for a Greek origin, since the first currently known turbine was described by a Greek, (Hero of Alexandria) it only made sense.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
turbine is first attested in the 1800s. The Greek word τύρβη meant "disorder, confusion, tumult".