Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Quinion's new book!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quinion's new book! Login/Join

posted
You read the thread's title right! Michael Quinion, author of the wonderful World Wide Words website [how's that for alliteration?] is publishing a book.

Tomorrow, Penguin will release 'Port Out, Starboard Home' by Michael Quinion, at £12.99.

US publication will not be until next October. Oh, you Brits are so lucky!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Why so late for us? I want one!

I often go to World Wide Words, and this may sound rude, but I have always thought he must be able to have a better photo taken!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
If you can't get copies from an online supplier, let me know by email or pt and I'll pop into my local bookshop and buy a copy(ies) and postit/them.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Graham Nice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Why so late for us? I want one!

I often go to World Wide Words, and this may sound rude, but I have always thought he _must_ be able to have a better photo taken!

I thought that the book would be going for the same market as that Eats Shoots and Leaves until I saw the picture. He'll have to have a makeover before getting on any chat shows.

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Wink

BTW, I like your new picture, Graham! Cool

Richard, I will PT you, as I would love a copy before October.

Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
I alerted Michael Quinion to this thread. Here is his reply:
quote:
[quoting Graham): "I saw the picture. He'll have to have a makeover before getting on any chat shows."

Actually I rather agree. Must get a new pic taken!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, I am so embarrassed! Red Face I had no idea he'd read it or I would never have posted that. Well, at least he knows we admire the quality of his writing.

posted Hide Post
For information Port Out, Starbord Home and other language myths is now on sale in the better bookshops in England. I bought a copy for a modest £12.99 and was surprised to note that it is hardback - although published by Penguin.

I've only flicked through it but it looks very interesting.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, I can't wait to buy one! Of all the wonderful word sites, I think my favorite 2 are World Wide Words and Word Detective.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of all the wonderful word sites, I think my favorite 2 are World Wide Words and Word Detective.
What about Wordcraft? Wink

I agree that both are really entertaining but wish that Evan Morris would update the Word Detective site more frequently, or, at least, more regularly.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
What about Wordcraft?

Well, that goes without saying! I am trying to convince wordcrafter to write a book highlighting some of his best themes. He does such an excellent job of selecting great themes, comprehensively defining the word, and using appropriate quotes.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Richard sent me a copy, and I have received it. Thanks, Richard. It is great! I am so happy to have the English copy. I hadn't known that Quinion does work for the OED, though I should have known, I suppose.

posted Hide Post
Coincidentally I have just finished reading my copy. There are large numbers of words that he defined in his column but has not included - which leads me to suspect that he is already researching volume 2.

What will he call it I wonder - "Even Posher or Spiffing" - maybe!

Richard English