Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing Game Word: Kamalayka
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing Game Word: Kamalayka Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Kamalayka is the new bluffing game word. Post your daffynitions by about Wednesday or so.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the old days I would have walked a milayka for a Kamalayka...

The PM is in the mail.

Posts: 6271 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I forgot to say that you should send the daffynitions by PM. So far I only have Hab's! Let's get going, Wordcrafters. Roll Eyes

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Okay...I can't post the daffynitions tonight because I only have 3 now: Arnie's, Hab's and CW's.

Pretty please?????

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
This one has been like pulling teeth...
[BTW, are pulling teeth really that hard? Funny analogy...but that's another post!]

I have 5 daffys only, and I will add one myself. I really wish I had more because I am 99.9999999999999999% sure that no one has heard of this word before. However, with only 6 definitions you have a better chance of guessing.

Please send me daffys those of you who are remiss! I have from Hab, Asa, CW, Tinman, and Arnie. Tomorrow is D-Day (posting of daffynitions)!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Here are the daffynitions (and one correct definition!) for "kamalayka":

1) A Ukranian horse-drawn vehicle with high wooden sides, used for transporting building materials.

2) A shirt made of seal guts.

3) Trouble of any kind, great or small. From the Hawaiian word Kamulayki.

4) The Kamalayka, built in 1954, was one of Washington State's first ferries, part of the "Mosquito Fleet." After 10 years of service it was sold to a fish-processing plant in Alaska, which used it for another ten years as a floating fish-processing lab. It sat rusting in a harbor in Alaska for about 25 years when it was rediscovered and brought back to Seattle to be restored. Several years were spent trying to secure financing to restore "the Slug," as it was affectionately called, but to no avail. Eventually it was bought by a San Francisco shipyard for scrap.

5) A small stringed instrument, similar to a Balalayka.

6) Faux fur trim around collars and gloves.

7) One of the minor Hindu Brahmanic gods,the god of love.

8) A Russian folk stringed instrument similar to a domra, but without frets.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Hehehe - some great daffys this time!

I really like the looks of them all, from a comic perspective, but I'd like to choose #3, please.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll pick 1.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll boldly go where no man has gone: be 4 !

Posts: 6271 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Come on, Arnie...I want to bluff you this time! Wink

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
2 is too ridiculous so I'll have that one please. (And I'd like one for Christmas too.)

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'm with Bob; 2) for me please.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Any more guesses?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Alright. I am going to put this one to bed. And I am NOT happy about the outcome! Mad I was sure that I had everyone this time.

1) A Ukranian horse-drawn vehicle with high wooden sides, used for transporting building materials. Bob's...guessed by Tinman

2) A shirt made of seal guts. Grandiloquent Dictionary...guessed by Bob and Arnie Frankly, since it is only in one dictionary, I am wondering if it is really a word.

3) Trouble of any kind, great or small. From the Hawaiian word Kamulayki. Kalleh's...guessed by CW

4) The Kamalayka, built in 1954, was one of Washington State's first ferries, part of the "Mosquito Fleet." After 10 years of service it was sold to a fish-processing plant in Alaska, which used it for another ten years as a floating fish-processing lab. It sat rusting in a harbor in Alaska for about 25 years when it was rediscovered and brought back to Seattle to be restored. Several years were spent trying to secure financing to restore "the Slug," as it was affectionately called, but to no avail. Eventually it was bought by a San Francisco shipyard for scrap. Tinman's...guessed by Hab

5) A small stringed instrument, similar to a Balalayka. Hab's...guessed by no one

6) Faux fur trim around collars and gloves. CW's...guessed by no one

7) One of the minor Hindu Brahmanic gods,the god of love. Arnie's...guessed by no one

8) A Russian folk stringed instrument similar to a domra, but without frets. Asa's...guessed by no one

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Alright. I am going to put this one to bed. And I am NOT happy about the outcome! Mad I was sure that I had everyone this time.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:

If it's any consolation I had no idea at all and picked the one I thought sounded least likely to be right.

I'm guessing that arnie knew it.

(And don't forget I want one for Christmas)

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm guessing that arnie knew it.

Wrong guess this time! Smile

Mine was purely a guess based on the same reasoning as yours - it was so unlikely it had to be true.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Hey, you didn't give me time to guess!!! WAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
So sorry, Asa. I guess I was so annoyed that Bob and Arnie got it right that I quit early!

I really do wonder if it is actually a word. I [i]only[i] is cited (as far as I know) in the online Grandiloquent Dicationary.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
So sorry, Asa. I guess I was so annoyed that Bob and Arnie got it right that I quit early!

I really do wonder if it is actually a word. It only is cited (as far as I know) in the online Grandiloquent Dicationary.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:

I really do wonder if it is actually a word. It only is cited (as far as I know) in the online Grandiloquent Dicationary.

I think it's used in one of Peter Freuchen's books, but I can't find it right now.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I don't understand why it is only in one dictionary then. Interestingly, if you put it in Google, the first site that comes up is our Bluffing Game! Big Grin

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I just Googled it and found a Greek site referring to apartments near the "Aerodromo Kamalayka." Where's Museamuse - she can tell us if there's a Greek meaning that's different, or if you can rent a room next to the seal guts shirt airport. Confused

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I Googled it, too, and came up with this science fiction site. Look at those "K" words! It says that the shirt is waterproof, though that could just be in science fiction.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Since no-one else has volunteered, I've started a new game: olamic.